Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 vn commodore tune up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

kagen69
Starting in the driveway

robot-pirate

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  9:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kagen69's MSN Messenger address Send kagen69 a Private Message

hi guys i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tune a vn commodore i brought it bout 2 yrs ago but unfortunatly couldnt get it registered till recently due to finances when i got it it was running great you could barely hear its engine running.but now due to sitting so long its running rough and chewing the fuel a bit any advice on how to tune or increase the fuel econamy would be greatly appreciated pls email any advice you may have for me to kagen69@hotmail.com
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  11:35:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Step 1; change the plugs, the oil, the filters, then check the fuel pressure regulator. This is a small metal barrel on the manifold at the back of the engine, with a vacuum lead hanging off it. Make sure the vacuum lead to it isn't damaged, and all vacuum leads going to and from the engine.

Another is the Idle Air control valve on the throttle body. Make sure it's secure and moiture free (4 pin plug on it)

Take off the air intake duct from the air cleaner, and while the engine is running, spray the throttle inside with carburettor cleaner. This will get rid of any residual carbon/sluge or other garbage clogging up its throat. If it still runs rough after all this, check each electrical connector on the engine one by one.

As a final note, if the "roughness" has a "rhythm" then it may be your ignition coil pack. If any one of the coils on the ignition is suss, one or more of the plugs may not be firing properly.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

kagen69
Starting in the driveway

robot-pirate

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kagen69's MSN Messenger address Send kagen69 a Private Message

well for the most part its running rough whilst idle but thanks for the help ill be sure to check those things

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  5:00:48 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The inside of the Idle Air Control valve is the one thing most likely to make it idle rough. You'll see it as a small hole in the side of the throttle body. When it gets choked up with carbon, it will do this, as the engine computer relies on it to control idle fuel mix and idle rpm

rome_rod
Learner

smiley-punched

7 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile Send rome_rod a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Mechknight73

Step 1; change the plugs, the oil, the filters, then check the fuel pressure regulator. This is a small metal barrel on the manifold at the back of the engine, with a vacuum lead hanging off it. Make sure the vacuum lead to it isn't damaged, and all vacuum leads going to and from the engine.

Another is the Idle Air control valve on the throttle body. Make sure it's secure and moiture free (4 pin plug on it)

Take off the air intake duct from the air cleaner, and while the engine is running, spray the throttle inside with carburettor cleaner. This will get rid of any residual carbon/sluge or other garbage clogging up its throat. If it still runs rough after all this, check each electrical connector on the engine one by one.

As a final note, if the "roughness" has a "rhythm" then it may be your ignition coil pack. If any one of the coils on the ignition is suss, one or more of the plugs may not be firing properly.

I appreciate your posting this information. I have added this page to me list of bookmarks. I am new to the forum and still getting acquainted to the site.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  12:00:17 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

You'll find that there's almost enough info here to strip and rebuild a VN, almost to the last nut and bolt. Even if the info isn't there. someone's bound to come up with a solution

rome_rod
Learner

smiley-punched

7 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile Send rome_rod a Private Message

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rome_rod

quote:

I appreciate your posting this information. I have added this page to me list of bookmarks. I am new to the forum and still getting acquainted to the site.

You'll find that there's almost enough info here to strip and rebuild a VN, almost to the last nut and bolt. Even if the info isn't there. someone's bound to come up with a solution

I appreciate that. I have been going through the threads. Like I said I have added this one to me bookmarks along with some others I found. Learning a lot. Thanks.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 8 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services