Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 New Member Welcome Lobby
 my speedo is faulty
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  11:39:39 PM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

my speedo is faulty and tells me the wrong speed when im driving. just the other week it said i was only doing 40kmh when i was keeping up with the cars on the highway doing 100kmh. also my tachometer and temp gauge are sometimes stuck on the bottom and dont move.

how can i fix these?
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  12:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Two things to look at: 1. have you fitted wheels/tyres different from stock? This can mess with the accuracy of your speedo. 2.(and this is most likely) On the back of the instrument cluster, there's a "flexible circuit board." normal cuicuit boards are just that; printed onto a flat, rigid board. VNs have theirs on this flexible plastic thing that passes for a circuit board. Over time, the "wire" within them gets brittle causing breaks in the circuit, and this will mess with it. In the short term, a gentle tap on the top of the instrument cluster will get most gauges to "tell the truth."

The only place of I know of that will do this kind of reconditioning is a place called Howards Instruments. I have spoken to them personally, and a full recon of an Executive (fuel/temp/speedo) can be had for $150 roughly. They say it depends on how much repair work has to be done on that flexible circuit board on the back. My suggestion would be to find another instrument cluster to fit while you get your original one fixed.

To get the instrument cluster out, you'll need a Phillips screwdriver. Two screws at the top of the instrument fascia, one each under the wiper and headlight switches. unplug the wiring from those switch clusters, undo the mount screws on the instrument cluster, and it's out. The connectors are mounted to a frame behind the dash. When you take out the instrument cluster, it may be for the first time in your car's life. There will be this stuff that looks like old shrinkwrap fall out from behind it. Make sure this stuff stays out of the connectors.

This is Howards Instruments website:
http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/index.php

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 05 Sep 2010 12:48:58 AM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  12:12:31 PM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

I dont have the original wheels on my car but they are the same size as the original ones. I used to give it a gentle tap and that always used to fix the problem but lately its gotten far worse and the tap doesnt work anymore it seems to make it worse sometimes. it drops the needle further down on the speedo.

I have a calais so I'm guessing it will probably cost a bit more to fix but ill ring them up and find out.

Thanks alot for your help Mechknight73. This is my first car and i dont know alot about it. the previous owners didnt take much care of it so it needs a bit of attention and care to rescue it and get it back to its former glory.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  1:16:45 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The instrument clusters on VNs are fairly similar in the way they're set out, and it's likely that it's only the circuit board that needs doing. The recon I had in mind with mine involves reconditioning the odometer as well (odometer and trip meter don't work.) For now, I have a standard VN cluster from another car, and other than one of the backlights, there's nothing I need to "tap the dash" for. I don't know about the Level 2 clusters (which have a tacho/speedo and up to 4 gauges) but mine cost me $40. Go to wrecking sales, check the wrecking yards before you just jump in and buy the first cluster you see. You might miss out on a bargain if you don't shop around.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.18 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 20 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services