Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Door rubbers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  6:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

Gday, does anyone have knowledge of any place i could get a set of four door rubbers for my commo at a real cheap price? Ebay has universal rubbers from hong kong for about 15 plus i think around another 15 or so postage each but dont even know if these would be a good fit or some crappy knock off. Any one able to help???
Cheers

Bassist by day, VN nut by night
Report to Moderator

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  9:22:00 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

Rare spares has OEM ones. I bought them about 18 months ago for under $200, brand new and all four doors.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  08:44:13 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

I have a feeling a couple of blokes have found the material at clark rubber and made some with some good results

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  4:32:37 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Anywhere that sells rubber often has a whole section on seals. The bit that attaches to the metal is called pinch weld. All you do is look through that catalogue to find the one closest to what your original door rubbers look like. It will be about a 95% match; the corners might not be perfect, but good enough to do what you need it to. If they give you a blank stare, take one of their sales staff out to your car and show them the rubber, and they'll soon track down what you need.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  7:27:43 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

thatll be hard cause shes still in the driveway and has been for the past year almost. But i found a place online which does VN rubbers. Around $19p/m includes postage in that price. Is that a reasonable price at all for the four doors? Also, do they come with a double sided tape or sticky edge at all or do i need a special glue??? Cheers

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  7:42:18 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

At the hardware store look for Sikaflex. Its a thick black glue about $25 - $30 a canister , and Ive found that's the best stuff by far to glue the rubbers onto the inner plastic trim. Just smear it a few mm thick all the way round and line it up then shut the door or pin it there with clips and let it dry for a day or two. The cost would be about the same as what VN91SX suggestion is. I'd personally also do it with Rare spare's products as they fit spot on. And the quality you know would be OK. Some things online are hard to judge without looking at it.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  8:03:41 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

http://autohardware.com.au/stock_view.aspx?make=Holden&pagename=Rubber

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  8:17:54 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

The one's i got were brand spankers that included the black rubber and the trim that the black rubber attaches to. This along with a brand new roof lining were the best mods that i did to the VN when i had her. The 8000 other dollars that i spent on performance mods didn't compare to the value i got out of the new roof liner and door seals, oh and the tint.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  8:30:23 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

At a rough est. without a measure , you might need 8 m ???
Sounds like a good price though with delivery , have to think about buying some of these aswell for mine. cheers

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Oh just read the next post and if you get the inner trim as well at rare spares go for them for sure. less head spin.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  1:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If you want to do it the slack way, all you'd need to do is take the front and rear rubbers off one side of the car to a rubber place, show them what you want, and measure it. I do know that they retail at Rare Spares for something like $103-$105 per door (varies from sedan, wagon, front and rear.) The pinch weld and the rubber seal come already moulded together in rolls, just like buying a length of heater hose off the roll

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 22 Oct 2010 1:29:34 PM

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  8:21:42 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Mechknight73

I do know that they retail at Rare Spares for something like $103-$105 per door (varies from sedan, wagon, front and rear.) The pinch weld and the rubber seal come already moulded together in rolls, just like buying a length of heater hose off the roll

That's funny because I purchased mine from Rare Spares for $48 per door lol. That's a pretty big price gap. I didn't get a 50% discount either

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  8:23:35 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Mechknight73

I do know that they retail at Rare Spares for something like $103-$105 per door (varies from sedan, wagon, front and rear.) The pinch weld and the rubber seal come already moulded together in rolls, just like buying a length of heater hose off the roll

That's funny because I purchased mine from Rare Spares for $48 per door lol. That's a pretty big price gap. I didn't get a 50% discount either

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  10:12:33 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Somebody's being a right bastard in the system; that was the quote I got from the local Holden dealer; didn't realise they were gouging that much!

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

Got that right mechnight73! I got mine about 18 months ago. Firstly I went to a Holden dealership and they said that they don't stock them anymore, so I went to Rare spares (American Auto) and they were out of stock at the time, but they rang me about 2 months later and told me they were in lol. I was suprised that they followed it up 2 months later, but yeah, i paid $48 per door

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

VN92SX, could you do me a favour and search the website for that item and then let me know the item no. so i could find them? and do you have pics of them at all?? Cheers

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

and sorry to be annoying and ignorant but i have no idea what a pinchweld is or how on earth it could be used it this application. My current rubbers appear to be just simple rubber tubes that are held on with some type of glue.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  02:58:49 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Bloke on another site paid $320 from rare spares for new door rubbers.
The pinchweld is the plastic coated metal strip that the rubbers you speak of are glued to. When you get the new rubbers from rare spares or holden they come as a complete unit (ie seal and pinchweld together)

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  11:26:53 AM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

just got 3/4 yesterday there shipping me the 4th when they get it on friday hopefully. I havent had to close a look but how do i get the old puinchweld off the car??? I asume its glued on just the same as i need to glue the new stuff on???

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  4:37:36 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Lucky for us Holden did'nt make it impossible. and it's as simple as pulling them away from the door inner frame by hand.
When you put them back in with the new rubbers. Just push them back on as no glue required , working your way around the door opening a small bit at time.
Remove the side scuff plates to get to them easier. cheers

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  5:51:47 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I've just ordered a new set for my VN wagon from Rare Soares, and it was just under $250 for the four of them. All four of the door rubbers on mine are shot, with only the driver's door staying relatively in one piece

quote:
Originally posted by VNSVLE

Bloke on another site paid $320 from rare spares for new door rubbers.
The pinchweld is the plastic coated metal strip that the rubbers you speak of are glued to. When you get the new rubbers from rare spares or holden they come as a complete unit (ie seal and pinchweld together)

spac89
P Plater

smurf03

47 Posts

Female

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  8:02:55 PM  Show Profile Send spac89 a Private Message

sometimes on ebay you can get new old stock from the old stockists
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly