Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Speedo needle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  01:37:18 AM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

A while back the needle fell off my speedo, and i was just wondering if i can put it back on. I dont want to start pulling apart the dash and everything just to discover i cant put it back on. So does any one know if it can be done or have tried something similar before?
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  12:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Can't say I've done it, but you can take out your instrument cluster in one piece by undoing about 8 screws; One each under the switch blocks, two under the dash fascia (in front of the glass) and two or four more attaching the instrument cluster to the body. There are no connectors to unplug, as the connector is bolted to the body, and lifting the instrument cluster out will gently detach it.

With the cluster out, and the fascia glass off (held in by "cable plug-type" clips) Examine the end of the shaft (I'm unsure as to how the needle attaches to said shaft, as I haven't seen one dismantled that much) Does it attach as a "moulded as one piece" arrangement, or does the needle slide onto the shaft? If it's the former, you might be able to superglue it back on. If it's the latter, you might be able to do likewise with silicone sealant. If it is the latter, remember to make sure there's some tension between the stopper pin at 0 and the needle, or your speedo will be inaccurate. It may require recalibration as well.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  12:09:44 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

this can be done. im supprised it fell off to tell the truth cause when i pulled my unit apart a month ago out of all the needles it was the hardest to remove. but it should just slip back on with a tiny amount of effort. should be easy and only take around 20 mins total.

Bassist by day, VN nut by night

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  01:40:58 AM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

Thanks Mechknight73 and Voodoo92 I couldn't believe how easy it was to pull it all out. The needle it self was very easy to put back on also, It just had to be pushed onto a pin in the speed guage. However The speed guage doesn't have any stopper pins unlike the other gauges that all seem to have 1 or 2, and fair enough your right it does make it inaccurate. It's about 20kms out. I'll get back round to fixing that problem up soon, I'll just glue something to act as a stopper.

Voodoo92 i was a bit supprised also (and a little bit pissed off) that it fell off. I knew that they could fall off because it happened to my mates vp, I just couldn't believe it happened to me as well. He didn't know if they could be put back on either and just went and brought a new one from the wreckers, but know the odometer doesnt work on his. If you guys know how to fix this I would be and I'm sure my mate would be very grateful(he owns a 92 or 93 vp executive).

Also I don't mean to milk you guys for help, but with all the rain lately I've been using my wipers alot. And I have noticed that when I put the wipers on the 3rd speed they just stop instantly right where they are, but when put back to 2nd speed the work normaly again. Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem and how to fix it?

Once again I would like to say thanks. I dont know alot about cars as this is my first. I appreciate your tolerance and help.

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  05:57:06 AM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

for the odometer its fairly easy if u have a precision screwdriver set. just takes a little time. im not sure if the vp dash is the same as a vn but if it it all you do is pull it all apart again to get to the needles then undo 6 or so screws holding the plastic number cards to the unit. then you will see the internals of it all. dont get a shock all you need is the centre unit that comes out with a few screws and an electronic connection at the back from memory. then 1 screw on the side holds on a white looking piece about the size of a 20c peice. with that outs the way u can see your cog. then just replace it with one from ebay (theres millions of them there) and then just rebuild it all again. its fairly easy. hell eveni did it. :)
As for the whippers mechnight would probabily have a better idea about them sorry.

Bassist by day, VN nut by night

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Dec 2010 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I do know that if the wipers stop on any speed than "off," it usually means there's something dodgy with the switch. It's possible to get that switch cluster out with very little effort, only one screw holding it in. Unplug it, sit it on the bench, and with a multimeter and a small battery, you should be able to check the switch contacts one by one. Can't remember the sequence of the wiring on it, but behind the front face, it's all wired into a circuit board. Using something like a 9V battery, run current through each of the switches, and see if there's any resistance, or broken circuits. If there is, replace the switch block.

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 21 Dec 2010 11:57:18 AM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 10 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services