Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 Vn wont kick over & acting very weird PLEASE HELP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  1:52:47 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Angry VN Wont kick over and acting really weird (PLEASE HELP)

My vn is acting really weird last night i cruised around it for a long time and then turned it off for 5min i went to kick it over and when i turned the key nothing happend then all the electric were not doing as they should the highbeam would go on for 2 seconds and then turn off. I thought it was the battery but i put my battery charger upto it and it says fine. I then tried the high beam it was working really good same as the electric windows. I then tried to turn it over and all i heard is the clicking sound you usualy hear with a flat battery but it was like 10 times faster and twice as loud.

I checked my batterys water levels there fine and although last night my positive terminal was white i poured warm water over it today on the terminal and the positive side off the battery.

Is it the battery causing it or is my car f**K**d ??? Please help i need it for work for Monday ???

Modifying a car is like a drug once you start you cannot stop.
Report to Moderator

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  2:15:48 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

When i kick it over Fuel,Spd,Temp light flashes two times and then disapear's. Also engine light,oil, battery light stay on.

Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

And when those three lights flash the clusters three led windows flash aswell. I tried it a few times and then it didn't do that anymore instead.

Fuel,Spd,Temp,Engine,Oil,Battery basically all off them stay on and make a weird sound.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

First things to look for:
Alternator connections- have your alternator tested on the bench. There's some chance the voltage regulator on it is buggered. What that means is it will still charge the battery, but only do it intermittently. Sometimes that will mess with other things in the electrical system.

Wiring harness- check all connectors to and from the main relay box in front of the battery. unplug them one at a time to see if any of them have corrosion or loose terminals. If any of them do, clean them up and see if it makes any difference.

Fuses/relays- buy a couple of new relays, and swap them out, one by one with the ones in the relay box, to see if it makes any difference. There is one metal one marked "LP CHECK." Whatever you do, do not put that relay in any position other than where it is. I once did that, and suddenly my blower fan, rear demister and radiator fan stopped working. Switched it back and they work fine. Check all fuses one by one, just to make sure they're all in good condition. Occasionally they can be "partially blown" which creates enough resistance to stop something from working.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  3:58:23 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Has your Calais got the factory Imob/alarm. Mine was faulty and caused the car to shut down randomly. Check inside the Glove box and see if there is a Key barrel in there near the boot release. If so try one of your key's and turn it off.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  5:18:03 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Thanks guys it does have the key barrel thing in the glove box.
I will try everything you guys said but first i am going to try and lend a mates battery or buy a new one.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  10:27:43 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Could be a starter on it's way out also.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  08:44:19 AM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Doesn't sound like a starter motor slipping.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  2:52:44 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The starter motor on a VN, when the batterry is low, or the starter motor is knackered, will make a fast "hammering" noise, sort of like a mini jackhammer. They don't seem to sound like older starter motors, that will just refuse to turn over and not make much noise

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  7:46:14 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Ok i can rule out the battery it deffinently has plenty off charge, The noise is a very fast loud hammering ticking noise like a jack hammer some where behind the motor i can here it and also the motor does not even try to turn over.

Would this be a starter motor or a seized motor ???

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  7:48:25 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Also if it is the starter motor how hard is it to replace ?

thanks.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  10:24:05 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Not a huge problem; two mounting bolts and two connectors to remove. The important one to remember is that there's often a shim between the starter motor and the bell housing where it bolts on. This is important in getting the starter in the right position.

If you buy a new starter motor, don't panic if it looks like it's half the size of the old one. If it bolts on, Last one of those I fitted was for a V8, and it looked like it should start a Corolla. Because of the gearing and hyper-efficient electrics, they sound different, look different, but use less battery power to do the same job. WARNING: do not attmpt this job on a warm engine, it will brand you like a Hereford bull on a cattle station.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 10 Jan 2011 :  2:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

One last note: I read on a bit more, and you may have to take of the L/H exhaust manifold or the aircon compressor to get the old one out. The lower half of the bell housing may get in the way too.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  6:50:58 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Ok i will give it a crack in the next few weeks im giving the car a break and i am too flat out with work. Thanks heaps guys.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Ok i found a starter motor for $40. yay :D

So i will try to fit that up this weekend and make a DIY How too with pics for everyone else : )

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Jan 2011 :  9:49:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

That would be good, i had the problem of the wire disconnecting from starter motor.

of course this had to happen when everything was stinking hot!

The burn marks on the knuckles have healed nicely

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  09:45:46 AM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Ok well i put a new starter motor in and nothing we then put it in gear and rolled it back and fourth to see if it was seized because it didn;t even try to crank over. So we then played around with the batterys wiring and the ground wire even though it was on it was a little bit loose so it was either the starter or just plain old simple ground wire.

: ( so i might have wasted $80 bucks $40 for the starter and $40 for the bloke to come over and fit it up for me but no big loss my vn is running again. Shame it runs out off registration at mid night.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

At least you know for sure that it works. Now, if you're selling that engine and dropping in a V8, or just rebuilding it into something wilder, at least now you can start it when you want to, and have a spare one to overhaul at your leisure.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 17 Jan 2011 :  6:24:32 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

yeah im glad to have it going again.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.33 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 147 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services