Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 noise, temp gauge and tacho help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

holden_mad
Learner

smiley-biggrin

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  7:13:32 PM  Show Profile Send holden_mad a Private Message

hey guys

i signed up in the hope that some on will be able to help me with my vn calais

firstly my temp gauge and tacho doesne work any idea why?

but i recentally took my throttle body off to replace my thermistat but after i put it back togther there is a really loud screeming noise that i cant pin point and it runs ruff for like a minute on startup????

help please
Report to Moderator

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  8:40:19 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

If you give the dash above the instrument cluster a bit of a "bash" do they start working??
As for the noise did you replace the gasket when refitting your throttle body??

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

holden_mad
Learner

smiley-biggrin

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  9:08:28 PM  Show Profile Send holden_mad a Private Message

havnt tried bashing it yet and they only stoped working when i had to get the engine relaced from a wreckers but they did a **** job. i work at holden and someone suggested replacing the thermistat may fix the problem of the temp sensor so i didnt replace the gasket yet. also i srated it before adn went the exhaust when its idleing ruff and it was blowing black smoke and shot quiet alot of water out then smothed out just wanted to see if anyone could give advice till at least i get to work on wednesday lol

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  9:55:04 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message

running ruff ,water and black smoke out of the exhaust sounds like the map sensor hose isn't connected buddy have you checked to make shore the hose is on or doesn't have a hole in it

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  10:07:16 AM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The temp and tacho may have the usual fault of the VN instrument cluster; the flexible circuit board at the back. Over time, the circuits in it develop tiny hairline cracks. They create enough resistance to mess with any one of your instruments.
It's an easy fix, as the instrument cluster comes out by undoing 6 screws; one under each switch cluster, two just under the dash fascia and two more holding it in place behind the trim.

The temp gauge sensor and fan sensor look identical save for the fact that one has two wires coming out of it, and the other has one. The single wire one being your temp sender. Check to make sure those boneheads didn't damage the sender wire.

I know I'll be corrected if wrong, but some engines run teir tacho from an alternator wire, some run it through the ECM. For the sake of elimination, have a look at all the wires connected to your alternator, and see if there's anything amiss.

holden_mad
Learner

smiley-biggrin

6 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  11:10:57 AM  Show Profile Send holden_mad a Private Message

atm the moment i am taking it all apart again and putting it back together with more attension and i will defintally check the map sensor hose

as for the dash i will most likly take it apart after the throttle body

thanks guys got some good ideas now
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.19 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 27 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services