Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Car Audio
 car amp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

leebo
Fully Licenced

simp048

495 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  6:25:51 PM  Show Profile Send leebo a Private Message

does anybody know how many amps you can have running off your battery.
like the amount of power that can be drawn before the alternator wont be able to put the charge back.

not to important just curious to know cos a plan to make a show boot and i may need a lot of custom work.

I'll show you the Rick James cell. It's superfreaky!.
Report to Moderator

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  8:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Depends on the size of the amps. If you want some serious noise it would be a good idea to start with a boot mounted deep cycle battery and an upgraded alternator that is able to handle the extra load. The Optima Yellow Top batteries would be a good place to start looking at batteries. Then you need to figure out exactly what you want in your system (so you can calculate current draw) and get an alternator to suit.

To calculate the current draw of an amplifier, multiply the number of channels by the RMS watts per channel (a 2 channel amp rated at 300 watts RMS per channel would be 600 watts). Double it to account for amplifier inefficiency (600 watts X 2 = 1200 watts), then divide by the average output Voltage of an alternator, 13.8 volts (1200 divided by 13.8 = 87 amps). Since the average music signal requires about 1/3rd of the average power in a test tone, divide by 3 (87 amps divided by 3 = 29 amps). The result is the amplifier's approximate average current draw.

A quick way to ballpark an amplifier's current draw is to divide the total fuse value of the amp by two. For amplifiers with multiple fuses, the rating of all fuses provided with the amp must be added together. This will likely produce a significantly higher estimate than using the proper formula. Although inaccurate, this will err on the side of safety.

Finally, compare the amplifier's approximate current draw to your vehicle's reserve current capacity to determine if the electrical system can support the amplifier.

If all those numbers are a bit much, here's a simpler way to think about it: an alternator capable of producing 65 amperes is usually adequate for systems up to 270 X 2 watts RMS. A compact car with a 35-amp alternator can accommodate around 150 X 2 watts of power, while a Sport Utility with a 145-amp alternator can handle a 600 X 2 watt system.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Edited by - VNSVLE on 04 Dec 2008 8:06:04 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

leebo
Fully Licenced

simp048

495 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  10:27:31 PM  Show Profile Send leebo a Private Message

thanks for that .That explained everything VNSVLE.
What a was planning to run was 2x12" 100w/500rms clarion subwoofers and 2x15" 100w/500rms speakers in the boot and 2x6.1/2" clarion speakers the high quality 250w ones and tweeters.

I will just have to get the amps necessary to run the subs these don't even have to be clarion as they will be hidden and one small one on display behind Plexiglas with neon's etc to run the component speakers.

when they speak of watts that is the max potential before the speaker or fuse on the amps blows I'm told.
the true rating on a 100w items is like 500rms i believe.

all need to add up the power of a 7" monitor I'll have too.

I'm running one of those deep cycle batteries you spoke of before it's an AC DELCO.
I plan to have a custom place do me a completely furnished show boot i may enter my car to auto salon next year i think. i need to get the equipment first before i can get a quote and do my maths which you have helped me with so thanks.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  11:22:13 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

This may help you understand what RMS (Root Mean Squared) means (or it could just confuse matters even further - http://www.aqdi.com/rms.htm

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

leebo
Fully Licenced

simp048

495 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile Send leebo a Private Message

thanks ill check it out

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.2 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 14 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services