Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 Jammin Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  10:31:44 AM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

This is not car related but I thought a good change of pace.
Even though cars are a hobby of mine my main passion is Music.
Just a topic for those who have instruments, to discuss there style and choice of weapon eg. String , skin , brass or anything. Plus plug your band.

Mine is Guitar and Bass , I have a Les Paul Copy , Fender P-bass Copy and a good strat , plus a couple of Classical ones. Mostly Play Rock and Metal with some Blues thrown. While not a band performer i enjoy jammin with a group of like minded friends. What are you into ?
Report to Moderator

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  11:23:27 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Nice collection!! I play guitar and bass as well. Never really been in a band. Only done a little bit for school musicals also played at our school formal with a groups of mates. Other than that love playing anything with a decent guitar line from Metallica to Eric Clapton to The Living End ( you get the picture).
Have not played a great deal in the last couple of years though unfortunately. Cant really justify getting a really nice guitar or bass (not that I have not tried to justify it many times :D ). At the moment weapons of choice include Ibanez electric, Yamaha steel string acoustic, a cheap nylon string acoustic and an Onyx Bass.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  7:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

I like your collection aswell , Ibanez and Yammy make some cool guitars mate , two of the best Satch and Vai are legendary Ibanez players.
I need advice as both drummers i jam with have Sepultura and Pantera running through there double kick , so Im trying to learn some of that.
The lead guitarist wants to play blues and me stuck as to where to from there.
so Im thinking of updating my bass and this time to a 5 or 6 string , whats good enough out there for about $500
I was thinking somthing like a Montery or squire. Any advice would be great. Thanks

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  8:57:54 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Got some good advice from a mate , not buying a 5 string bass now.
Keeping the Fender copy , Buying a set of 5 string bass strings , and using the 5th to 2nd tuned B-E-A-D.
will now have heaps more low down for Metal and not too worried about high notes as that's not my department.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Excellent!! Sounds interesting!!

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  4:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Guitar, wee bit of bass and drums. Only got 2 gats atm, Ibanez RT240 (japanese made in 93) which does everything I want it too. And an acoustic. Play mostly metal (thrash, black and death mainly) but also all random stuff, Cradle of filth, in flames, rage against the machine, system of a down, metallica, weezer, bush etc etc, pretty much anything with a cool tune. Lately been playing a bit of old school silverchair, some of its pretty grunty.

Written about 15 tracks of my own, only have a couple half ass recorded but il get there one day. Using Line 6 pod plugged into pc to record. Simple and does the trick.

As for drums I love playin them but like guitar more and cant do both at the same time! havent really done much love playing but had a bit of a band going back in 5th form which was pretty fun

Previous guitars were ibanez rg, epiphone les paul copy (gloss black and was mint to play but pickups were sh*t) and a strat copy. But now il only use twin humbuckers.

Hey dryvn you wanna be careful if your going bigger strings or anything, copies dont usually like that sorta treatment haha

Just be thankful you got two legs to stand on and hands to grab sh*t with!

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  5:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Sounds like a good setup for your own tunes. Most Japanese guitars are expensive now, Agreed mate Humbuckers rule for metal, but the slower stuff is heaps clearer with singles. its all preference and style though. With the bass I got an original fender all maple neck , and stuck it on a cheap Basswood body then went nuts buying P-bass Wilkinson pickups. nothing as pricey EMG's or Duncan's but it does sound heaps better than what was on there.
I can only hope the neck holds up but will reset it to suit and adjust the intonation and see what happens.
I still Jam with me mates from school only the instruments are slowly (year by year) moving further away from our bodies.... lol

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  4:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

haha its all good fun tho ay, Got a mate who records alot his own stuff. Did a website up for him, robonguitar.co.nz

He's pretty friggin clever, well ahead of me though (in years played and bit older lol)

Im definitely an EMG pickup man, when I have the coin free il go get some for the ibanez just to give it the extra punch

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  5:26:15 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Mate will sound great with good pickups , Do they still make that model Ibanez ? I'll have a look at the site you made.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  5:32:11 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Great work on the site mate , will keep an eye on it some good info there.

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  9:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

cheers, na as far as I know its a pretty rare guitar, was only made over a couple of years. For pickups I think il just go for the emg 81/85 combo. Seems to suit most rock and metal

my-VN-aint-dead-yet
P Plater

music-metalhead

20 Posts

Male

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  2:13:18 PM  Show Profile Send my-VN-aint-dead-yet a Private Message

wow you guys seem to know your instraments, i am currently attempting to learn how to play guitar but i have been pretty slack lately and have kept my poor guitar locked up in its case for a couple of months now. I have a black ESP AX-50 and also some acoustic guitar but my brother wrecked it. i want to learn how to play mostly metal music like metallica, iron maiden, five finger death punch, and some bullet for my valentine, bands along those lines.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  7:01:00 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

cool guitar mate totally death Metal , That would sound cool and definatly look the part tuned Drop-d.

I like all those Bands as well and yeah as always practice is great , but sometimes a bit of downtime doesn't matter.

It's the old ride the bike theory get back on and go for it. 20 mins a day will get you there. Google some guitar tab sites if you want free tunes.

Many have the bands your after.

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  09:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Easiest way to learn guitar is pick up a copy of guitar pro 5, theres tons of tabs out there for it and makes everything easier

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  10:29:57 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Guitar Pro 6 is available also. Or there is a free program called Tux Guitar that you can use with the guitar pro files. Is not as fancy but does the trick.

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  5:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

I havent seen guitar pro 6, will look it up now.

Bought a new guitar, Schectar demon 6, setup for drop C. Swapped the duncan pickup on the bridge for a emg 85, I got it as the Zak Wylde set so put the emg 81 in my ibanez on the bridge with the spare duncan on the neck. Now have 2 beasty gats! :-)

Id put pics up but this site doesnt let us does it?

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  8:27:24 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Have to ask admin/mods about topics without cars involved , This is a General chatter Topic though its unclear without knowing the Rule's regarding how General it can be ???

Would be great to see it though. Sounds like a great axe !!!

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

here ya go mate, sorry its not a good pick but all i have atm

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  9:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Hey very nice , two good one's .... Is that a screeming 24 fret neck on the Shectar.

The ibanez has a cool natural finish is that factory ???.

Mad pickups im jelous and want some now for my LP....

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  9:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Both 24 fret, the Schectar has jumbo frets which have there pros and cons, good for solid metal rifs but makes soloing a bit tougher, especially with the higher gauge strings.

Bit of a story behind the ibanez, uncle had it lying around his lounge with no pickups as a "practice" gat. He didnt really use it much so asked him what he wanted for it so ended up getting the ibanez and a line 6 pod xt for $250 off him. Bargain of the century!

Someone had sanded the original finish off it and done a really bad job so I stripped it right back and then mixed a rimu stain with a bit of black dye and rubbed it, then a couple of coats of clearcoat. Orginal pickguard had a leppard skin print on it and was ****house but found a bloke in usa that made replacements and happened to cover obscure guitars such as this so got the pickguard off him to my specs for 100 bucks. And before putting the active pickups in it I was using a stacked humbucker that i had lying around. Shes all done now and sounds and looks awesome. I was pretty happy with the finish seein as i know f all about woodwork haha

I havent found much info on it to be honest other than it being japanese made in 1990-93

Pickups are definitely worth the $200 odd bucks a pop I think they were. In NZ I think its $200 for each or $350 for the set. Personally I only really use the bridge which is why I put the 2 from the set in the bridge of each gat. The 85 I reckon is slightly hotter so that's why I put it in the Schectar cos its more suited to what im playing on it.

The Ibanez stays in E, Drop D or half step down and the Emg 81 is perfect for it, especially Drop D, it screams!

Got a pic of yours man?

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  9:58:12 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Here it is mate , bit rough but does the job.

Good to hear you rescued a nice guitar from near death...

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  10:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

nice mate, whats it like weightwise? I used to have a lp copy and found it really heavy, like your necks stuff at the end of a jam session standin up haha looks tidy tho

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Mate not too heavy. My very light Strat mainly gets a workout , but nothing like my P-bass which is the heaviest guitar ever , after a few hours jammin i need to replace parts of my spine and find a nice quiet spot for when the Drummers tune's , eventually stop ringing my ear's , He's fast and crazy...lol

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  05:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

haha you gotta wonder what they were thinking making it that heavy. you got a bit of band going or something?

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  10:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Not a band as in gigs , friends from High school and a couple of family member's. Get together have a drink and play a few tunes for fun.
Still have a great time though.
Just spotted some Zak Wylde Pickup's $299 free delivery in Aust. Very tempted , How easy were they to install and are they passive or active ?

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  1:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Active, makes a huge difference over passive for my needs but if you want softer cleaner tones you might be best sticking with passive.

Installing them is rediculously easy. The kit comes with 4 pots, the pickups, battery holder and input plug and everything is quick connect with these little connectors. The only thing you have to solder is the wires to the input plug cos they change length depending on the guitar. If you can follow the picture book thing that comes with it itl take you 10-20mins dependin on how easy it is to gut your guitar.

Remember you cant mix passive with active though so if your gonna do it you need to use both, or do what I did with mine and mix n match pickups.

If I remember correctly the 81 goes in the bridge but I preffered the 85 in the bridge with the tuning. There isnt much difference between them but to my ears the 85 is slightly hotter. They are easy enough to swap around though so you can decided with relative ease.

Let me know how it goes

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

Oh and it doesnt have a switch so youl have to solder that too, but you shouldnt have any prob figuring out where the + from the switch goes. Its all labeled on the diagram

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  6:21:56 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Oh man it sounds so easy to do. Thanks for the info on them , not into active's as much so will stick with passive's as you said and agreed , for clearer tones.

dryVN
Fully Licenced

food-burger

228 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  8:01:37 PM  Show Profile Send dryVN a Private Message

Hey just found a pair of EMG HZ passive's for $110- , have you heard of these and are they any good ?

would be great to upgrade them from the cheap stuff I've got now. They also have the easy simple connector setup for installation.

lemusa
Fully Licenced

lemusa

193 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  9:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit lemusa's Homepage Send lemusa a Private Message

I haven't heard of them but google a bit and see what sorta style people are using them for. Generally you can't go wrong with anything emg thou. Some of their passives have even better output than cheaper actives. You could also have a look at semour duncan. Their mid range is pretty good. My uncle uses them and they are pretty versatile. Couldn't tell you what he got but they were around the 130 mark

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.3 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 37 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services