Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 Shaved door handles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  6:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Hey does anyone know if i brought a car with shaved door handles weather or not i would be able to put the door handles back in?

I'd gladly push my holden than drive a bloody ford!
Report to Moderator

SWEET
Fully Licenced

600 Posts

Female

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile Send SWEET a Private Message

yh just break it out
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  10:52:51 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

When you mean shaved, do you mean as in "the car door opens with a solenoid, no door handles on the outside?" That depends on how he "covered up" the hole.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  02:26:51 AM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Easiest way would be to get another set of doors and get them painted to match. Otherwise yes it is possible but as said above depending on how they were done could be easy could be hard.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  2:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Im not sure i can only tell by the pic that they are shaved. Its on a VX senator im looking at maybe buying, but i dont like the idea of having no door handles on the outside lol

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

If they have done it properly there is usually some sort of fail safe in case your battery goes flat.

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  3:54:29 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

I would also look into the legality of shaved handles to in your state

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  5:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

In any state, I'd be VERY surprised if that's legal. I guess if you know someone who's a whiz with a mig welder, no problem. Either replace the whole door skin, or the doors themselves. Whichever costs you less.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  6:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Replacing door skins wont work they the external handles lol but i'll look into it

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

That's what I meant; you can still buy VX door skins (external metal) new, if you want to do it that way

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  2:38:37 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Another thing that occurred to me, is just how they covered up the hole. If you're lucky, they did it with body filler and/or fibreglass; that would mean simply sanding it down to get the hole back. When you get this car, take off the interior door trims, and shine a torch up where the handles should be; on VN-Z doors, they're all flush fit, so there's a recessed lip of about 4mm.If you can see where the handle should be, you have the perfect template for the hole. If they haven't, make some measurements of another VT/X door, and ask someone good with a mig if they can weld that recessed piece in for you.

hsv_babe
Fully Licenced

cart046

269 Posts

Female

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hsv_babe's Homepage  Click to see hsv_babe's MSN Messenger address Send hsv_babe a Private Message

Awesome guys thanks. Still looking into buying it just wanted to no this stuff before i decided, as its a lot of money!!!

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  1:04:17 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

Just make good friends with a panelbeater, and it's not quite so much money to put the doors back to normal lol

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  6:28:36 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message

i like the idea of shaved door handles and I'm thinking of doing it to my car but i have no idea of the law factor, you would think it would be illegl as everything seems to be illegal these days

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  5:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The only reason why it's illegal is the safety factor. For example, if you're in a crash, and they need to get you out fast, they want to be able to just open the door in the usual way. If nobody knows what and where the failsafe is, then you might end up barbequed by the time they get the door open
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.25 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 20 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services