Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 General Chatter Area
 i think the problem is that its a ford..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

Lodgy
P Plater

68 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  9:52:51 PM  Show Profile Send Lodgy a Private Message

Gday guys, i know this is probably not the best place for the question but here goes.

one of my mates has a 1990 fairmont and over teh last 2 weeks its decided to play silly buggers on her.

the car decided to run out of coolant for the first time, as in it was all good one day then almost empty the next. The car also wont change out of first gear (auto) and just revs out no matter what. The last problem is the electronic speedo stopped working, it always reads 0, still lights up, but does not move.

Thanks if anybody can help, i cant find anything useful through google.
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  11:23:59 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

1. Coolant. There is a fair chance that if it got warm, it would have vented some coolant. First thing to do is check for any obvious leaks (heater hoses, water pump, radiator, head fittings) and if all possible, pressure test the system. Remember when you fill it up, to open the bleed valve on the thermostat housing. It would also be a good idea to check to make sure there's not a blown head gasket in play as well.
2. Transmission. If any automatic transmission won't change out of first it is usually either 1. low oil 2. dud valve body 3. electronic management is playing up. Usually in that order. The fact that the speedo isn't working too is a telling sign. Ask if she's driven anywhere where something might get snagged underneath. As far as I know, EA series Falcons use an electronic servo for the speedo in the back of the gearbox. Check to make sure all wiring to and from the gearbox is secure and undamaged. If this doesn't fix the problem, then it may be something internal on the instrument cluster. Unsure how you take one of those out, as I haven't delved that deep into an EA's innards before.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services