Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 Vr IRS into a vn body???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  02:46:15 AM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

This may sound like a silly move but is the floor pan the same shape in a vn than a vr as I'm looking at swapping the live axel for IRS with abs and using the chassis rails from the donnor car or is it way to much out to even think of doing this if not how can I fit abs to live axel as I'm doing vr front end as well any help on this will be great thanks gang
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  4:56:00 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

I can't be 100% sure, as I've never done it, but I'd find a VQ Statesman shell, and study how it all goes together. The Statesman shell uses the same wheelbase as the wagon, and as the VQ is VN based, you can look at the exact differences. The Statesmans had IRS as standard equipment. It may just be a simple "cut the bits you need off and weld them in" or it might be more complicated, but looking under one should at least tell you how much work is involved.

As for the ABS, that was also standard equipment on the Statesman, and I would study the wiring harness to find out how it all went together.

The VN-VS were the same car in the same way that the HQ-WB Kingswoods are essentially the same car; things were added and improved along the way, but they were bolted to the same basic shell and floorpan. VN-VS all started with the same shell too, they just changed the bits bolted and welded to them.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

How dopey of me to forget, the VP Commodore had IRS and ABS as optional extras; change a few details, and a VP is just about a Series II VN!

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 12 Dec 2010 5:27:16 PM

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  9:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

Thanks heaps I'm striping a vr shell and been looking at the floors mounting points think it may fit will check it out and let you know what's the go as far as I've worked it out it's the two rails diff x member I'm hoping that the shocker point are in right spot. All I can do is look hard and take pics welding is not an issue know how to do it properly

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  10:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

O and thanks for the info on the abs vp has same tower as vn so I just need the bit to mount the sender for the front disc that's gunna save trying to fit vr parts in as the tower tops are way off as a mate said today craft the strut mount in bugger that vp is the way to go you have put my mind at ease on that job. All going well it looks like the old bt1 gunna have abs IRS and airbags lol cool bet there's not many vn,s with all that thanks heaps knight73

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  11:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The only VN based cars with all that are usually Statesmans or Caprices. Craft it right, and you could spread the bull thick and say "it's a factory prototype that escaped the crusher." lol

I can remember the Series 1 VRs had this strange system for the strut towers; it's as if they did a quick mod to the VP ones, by adding a plate inside the strut tower, that angles it back to match the VR spec. VN/VP struts being more vertical than the VR ones

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  11:27:27 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

love the idea on the lucky escape for the prototype

Bassist by day, VN nut by night

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  01:13:48 AM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

True mate it's somthing that I'm only going to one step at a time do it right first time around I will be glad to post my findings on what steps are needed as for prototype that's a pisser. All I'm trying is just to make my car something different that one day at a car show or a meet somewhere people will look and go wow that's odd never seen one with that set up you know what I saying I'm not after big hp it's running a ecotec v6. I'm a family man and driving to a meet in it will be comfy lol dam I'm sounding like an old fart. Glad I googled this forum it's got the right type of members in it

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  4:47:02 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The IRS system is an Opel "modification;" it dates back to the days of the VB/VC Commodores. The Opels Rekord, Senator and Monza had versions of their rear suspension that was IRS. The Monza is a VC-type coupe, the Rekord a base model, and the Senator a luxury model. In theory, you could add it to any model Commodore, as they all started with the same floorpan.

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  7:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

Mmmm tru I've been looking at it for hrs and come up with a thing I may do use the vr body and change the rear quarter panels there mating in the same spot so the outside of the car is vn style this keeps the rails tru just need to put my vn tags on the vr wall as I was going to do with a firewall change it seems like a faster mod and I still get same at the end what's your ideas on this

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  11:12:51 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

In doing so, to properly disguise the shell, you would also need to change the rear c-pillar windows as well; the VN windows behind the rear doors on a sedan are flat, whereas the ones on the VR/S curve slightly. On a wagon, this isn't an issue because externally, the only differences between the rear ends of a VN-VS are paint, badging and tail lights. Unsure as to how you would do that mod, but if you're handy with a Mig welder, it can be done. With the VN bootlid and rear quarters, that would be easy. There might be some minor mods on the headlight mountings on the body for VN headlights. If it is indeed just a project car, and getting it over the pits isn't a problem, I'd leave the VR tags. If you get caught, it could be really messy.

bt1aero
P Plater

car-burningrubber

48 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  06:55:53 AM  Show Profile Send bt1aero a Private Message

The back windows are no prob that's the first bit I checked as in where it runs with the c piller and finding that area lines up but with vn panels grafted the under side of the window is no issue. As my first idea was to graft vr dash rails and all the other bits just feel taking the panel option is a over all safer on to I'm gunna just stop steep back and look at the pros an cons your advise is very grateful and I do thank you

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 14 Dec 2010 :  5:42:53 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

No probs,if you're a whiz with a Mig, shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll be the first to admit that I suck at bodywork, I'm more of an engineer and mechanic, but lack the qualifications for either. I'm working towards building a WB one tonner powered by a VP V6, although haven't got far in the project yet due to money. Once finished, it will be unlike any seen before.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Just a quick question but isn't irs known as a bad thing to commodore owners because all i ever heard was camber this and that and axel tramp and all those issues. Also wouldn't cutting up the chassis deem the car a write off ?

I dont mean to sound like a smart a**e either i just allways thought off irs as a bad thing but irs and abs in a vn would be cool

Modifying a car is like a drug once you start you cannot stop.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  2:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If you fit modified suspension in a way that requires welding and cutting, you may need an engineering certificates to get it registered, but it can definitely be done. After all, there's a bloke by the name of John Taverna that does this kind of thing for a living. A classic example of his work was one pink '69 Chevy Camaro with a full chassis. The original had rear leaf and "dinosaur" front coil. With his mods, it went round corners like Peter Brock's last A9X Torana.

I've just found a photo of the conventional rear axle and the independent rear axle side by side, and it looks like it would be easier to either replace that section of the floorpan, or bolt and weld all the VN bits onto the VR shell. The diff itself has a conventional "cradle" but where it bolts to the floorpan is definitely different. It would require some welding, but the best way would be to ask Vic Roads whether it's legal to do so. Like all states, they have a Technical Services division, that will give you a straight answer as to whether what you want to do is allowed or not.

The main thing that people seem to get wrong with Commodores that have IRS is that they go too far when they lower them. This creates rear camber issues, that contributes to the axle tramp, and wears out tyres much faster.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  5:23:32 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

So is it true that these irs diff's are weaker then the live axel diffs ?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 07 Jan 2011 :  11:19:26 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

IF they have a weakness, it's the CV joints on the diff.Although this is often caused by a lack of maintenance. Haven't heard any reports myself on stockers packing it in like the rear main seals on the XF Falcon, so I'm guessing it's mostly from abuse AND neglect that they tend to die

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

I heard they get diff whine very easy and then they blow up.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  2:42:36 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

It's possible, although I'd be interested to talk to those whom have had one go, and what was happening before it blew

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Jan 2011 :  5:03:58 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

I certainly wouldn't be swapping a live axle for IRS. You always know when a VT is on the road, just listen for shocking diff whine lol. "She's got an L67 under the hood doesn't she?" "Nah, that's just the diff whine!"

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  10:16:39 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message

Floor pan is completely different between the live and IRS so would require quite a bit of work. Would be better getting a VP IRS body and swapping everything over.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.3 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 39 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services