Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 VN Talk
 VN commodore no spark
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

ryanbates
Starting in the driveway

4 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  4:08:56 PM  Show Profile Send ryanbates a Private Message

How ya going guys, my vn recently stopped running after intermittant power problems.

i tried to check the error code but couldn't find the correct lead. the leads i could see one was a 6 pin array like this
[][][]
[][][]
and the other was a larger plug with a 12 pin array.

i beleive it's a 91

the car turns over fine, the fuel pump works, and i can flood the engine (did this to test to make sure i was getting fuel)

i've replaced the o2 sensor, the Crank angle sensor and the coil pack
unit as well as the dfi with a known working one.

when i turn the car over i get an check engine light.

The car does not get spark, i've checked the CAS leads, o2 sensor leads and spark plug leads. also the leads to the dfi, everything seems to be in good order, and the car was only bought about a year ago and was just serviced before i got it.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing my issues?

thanks Ryan
Report to Moderator

voodoo92
Fully Licenced

music-guitar

150 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  7:55:00 PM  Show Profile Send voodoo92 a Private Message

simple fix hopefully for your sake. I have no idea but then again im an idiot lol. just read a tread yesterday about pranks and the last one involved a brand new bmw that had thousands of dollars of work done because of engine problems. turns out in the end it was a fuse or something. couldnt hurt to just check all the fuses and relays though i dont even know if that would give you the warning light. just a thought

Bassist by day, VN nut by night
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  8:14:21 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The following is the full "how to" on which plug to look for, how to find it, and how to get the error codes:

http://www.vncommodore.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=450

Look for the "stupid and obvious" stuff first, like loose connectors, blown fuses and relays, or any broken wires you might not have seen. Don't worry about hosing out the engine bay and degreasing it, it can take a little water in there to clean it off (I'm a retired detailer, so I know they can handle it)

The differences between a Series I and II V6 are these: cooling system, ignition module, and some minor changes inside the engine computer. Have a look at the topic listed, and if you still have any questions, get back to us.

Sometimes that 6 pin connector can be hard to find. Take off the left hand kick panel first, and if you still can't find it, take out the glovebox as well. It may be hiding, tucked away where you can't see it straight away.

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 06 Jan 2011 8:21:22 PM

ryanbates
Starting in the driveway

4 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  9:05:00 PM  Show Profile Send ryanbates a Private Message

I checked all the fuses, all there and whole, i've followed all the wires i can find, still nothing wrong there.

i tried following the tutorial, i think i'll have to dismantle my dash to find it, i removed the glove box and thats how i found the 12 pin array, i tried jumping the 6 pin cable, but didn't do me any good.

tomorow's job, pull that dash apart :P

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  9:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

If it really is behind the dash, at least that's an easy one. The lower section can be removed just by pulling out the "hinge pin" at the bottom. The instrument cluster, just in case you have to get in there, is held in by four screws; one each under each of the switch clusters either side of the instruments, and two in front if the instument "lens cover." From there, it's a simple matter of unplugging to get them out of the way.

ryanbates
Starting in the driveway

4 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  3:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send ryanbates a Private Message

I finally opened the car up and found the plug, i put a jumper in and got the codes off it, i got a totally useful 12....(Code 12
Congratulations you're the proud owner of a perfectly healthy VN commodore, well...at least that's what it's telling you.)

i have absolutley no idea what the problem is, i have fuel and all the sensors are new (bought straight from holdens down the road)
i've checked all the fuses and relays, including all of the ones in the area under the wheel.

made sure all the new sensor are plugged in right again.

checked every inch of cabling under the hood. The only thing in the car that hasn't been replaced in the way of the sensor systems is the computer. anyone got any idea's?

thanks

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

It may be it, but there's no "remnants" or active parts of an immobiliser on it? The theory I have is that you either have an immobiliser playing up, or a wire that might have been hooked up to an immobiliser that's somehow playing up.

Although not recommended unless you HAVE to, you might want to check inside the engine computer casing. No moisture in it? Not sure of that myself, how to open one as I haven't had to yet. If you had a known good one to swap it with, it might be able to eliminate it for all time. If that cures it, DEFINITELY open the engine computer casing. It will tell you what went wrong, and why, so as not to mess up the new one.

When a VN gets submerged to the windscreen, they show some REALLY weird symptoms. For some reason, the sump is pumped full of fuel. There's the obvious ones, like most of the switchgear will "sorta" work. Just check to make sure there isn't any moisture around that area

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 12 Jan 2011 4:30:52 PM

Tonto
P Plater

sports-fishing

67 Posts

Male

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  8:56:56 PM  Show Profile Send Tonto a Private Message

isn't there a seperate fuse behind the dash somewhere that actually is for the computer itself....i think i read it here once, but i can't seem to find it now......

i had a look, it was under 'Pranks.'

ryanbates
Starting in the driveway

4 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile Send ryanbates a Private Message

There has never been an emobilizer on the car so i don't think it can be that, i don't have access to a computer to test with so i'll see about getting a replacement, shouldn't be too bad, the wreakers quoted me $20.

I've checked all the fuses and they are fine and intact.

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  1:45:57 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

It's odd that the engine computer doesn't want to "spell it out" and give you a clue as to what's going on. If you thought like a detective on this one, you would say it was near and/or holding the"smoking gun."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.24 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 329 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services