Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2024
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 Milking the Vn V6 for more power
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Hey guys i just wanted to find out what else i could do to the humble v6 to milk more power out off it.

So far it has mild headwork and mild cam,supercharged v6 CAI,2 1/2 catback system.

Besides a V8 throttle body,performance chip and the rest of the exhaust system is there any other way to get more power out off them besides forced induction ?

This will also help future members who want to stay legit especialy the p platers.

Modifying a car is like a drug once you start you cannot stop.
Report to Moderator

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  8:27:53 PM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

It isn't necessarily power that is required to make a car get from point A to point B quicker. Looking at a set of diff gears would be a sure fire bet to get her running quicker of the line. Yours is manual and therefore a bigger stall is out of the question. Looking at upgrading to 8mm leads, Iridium plugs, and MSD coils will certainly give a collective kick up the pants too due to a stronger spark being produced! :).
At your current stage, I would say the value for money way to go would be to get a 100CPI Cat and a set of Pacemaker Extractors, and then a set of diff gears. That is the best bang for buck option that I could recommend for your beast.
For those that are running an automatic TH700 gearbox, a B&M shiftkit or Corvette Servo will remove shift overlap and hence improving acceleration (Will cause the tyres to chirp going from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration0. Make sure that frequent oil changes are done to keep the auto healthy.

Edited by - VN91SX on 21 Jan 2011 8:33:22 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  11:11:40 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Yeah i think i will do the diff gears to 3.9's or 4:11's for sure.

I am considering doing a 2.5 highflow cat but not the extractors since i plan on dropping a 5 litre and then stroke that to 355. But is it worth doing msd coils and iradium plugs ?

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  09:53:11 AM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

Diff gears would be the way for you to go if you are planning an engine transplant. I would get whoever does the diff gears to serveice the diff and tighten it up in prep for a 355 running in your car. I would go the 3.9's for diff ratio as the 4.11's would be horrendous at speeds above 90km/h and would also be horrible on fuel consumption.
With regards to the MSD coils and NGK Iridium spark plugs, I had a fresh motor that only had 80,000km on it and responded very well to everything that I spent on it to get better performance out of it. As for a motor that has done more km's, I think it would also respond well to a stronger spark. I would do all three though: plugs, coils, and leads to get the most benefit which will get pretty pricey.
I had everything done to my N/A six that could possibly be done and after all the major motor work was done, it was the little things like a stronger spark that allowed the car to perform at it's maximum as a Atmo6.
Once again, the diff gears would be ideal for what you have planned.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  5:50:00 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Yeah diff gears are on the cards.

Super low_91
P Plater

monsters-skull

49 Posts

Male

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  9:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send Super low_91 a Private Message

standard ngk plugs a fine wouldn bother spending the xtra cash on the other ones, they do sfa difference,

5 Speed Manual Conversion in Progress YAY :)

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  4:38:40 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Yeah i heard the same thing from a old mate off mine who tried them in his vl and it didn't make any difference.

VN91SX
Fully Licenced

simp098

344 Posts

Male

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile Send VN91SX a Private Message

When you start doing repeated dyno runs and don't have to replace the Iridium plugs due to heat soak, there is a difference. The life span is one factor and the improved spark is another. Iridium plugs last much longer and provide a stronger spark.

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 27 Jan 2011 :  5:03:29 PM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Oh ok i didn't know that how much are they for a set off six ?

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 29 Jan 2011 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message

The more air and ignition you can get to any engine, the more power you can potentially get out of it. The more freeflow the intake and exhaust, the more potentially is possible

M3ZZA
P Plater

car-jumping

77 Posts

Male

Posted - 31 Jan 2011 :  01:08:07 AM  Show Profile Send M3ZZA a Private Message

Yeah i might look into that

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.19 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 4 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2024 by: Greening Computer Services