Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 Piston Stop Tool For 91 Vn Commodore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

max101cfh
Starting in the driveway

simp098

2 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile Send max101cfh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

has anyone come across these tools, it goes into the spark plug hole to stop the piston, i need it badly so i can take off the harmonic balencer to replace the CAS any info would help

Cheers
Report to Moderator

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  4:47:17 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

why do you need that to take off the harmonic balancer, just get a torque wrench and put it on the highest setting then put it on the bolt with the bar touching the ground and take out you fuel pump fuse and turn your key a bit to get the motor to crank only for a sec and the bolt will come loose then put your pulley remover on and it will come of change the cas and put the harmonic balancer back on and your done p.s don't forget to put the fuel pump fuse back in

Edited by - VNGRPA on 23 Jan 2012 4:50:08 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

VNGRPA
Fully Licenced

monsters-skull

426 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile Send VNGRPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ive had to do it so many time i can do it in 2 odd min

VNSVLE
Forum Moderator

smiley-blunder

1316 Posts

Male

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  5:57:34 PM  Show Profile Send VNSVLE a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would highly recommend a breaker bar over your torque wrench. Torque wrench only meant to tighten not loosen.
The alternative is to remove the radiator and use an impact gun.
Cheers.

What's the difference between understeer and oversteer?
Understeer is when the driver is scared.
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared.

Edited by - VNSVLE on 23 Jan 2012 5:58:45 PM

phlipside
Learner

sports-waterpolo

5 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile Send phlipside a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I cant say I like the idea of using your starter motor to crack the crank pulley bolt. The consequences of getting it wrong could be disastrous.
I tried with a rattle gun but couldn't get it undone, then I came across this method on a website somewhere.
Once you've removed the fan use an old serpentine belt with an end looped around the crank pulley, then both parts together doubled over the water pump, back over the alternator, under the tensioner and then the end looped over the power steering pump pulley it wont go right round the last one but it's enough to keep it there. The huge surface area of the groves of the belt facing into each other under a bit of tension over the pulleys will stop the crank pulley turning. All you need to do then is put your 24mm socket on a breaker bar or wrench with extension pipe, lean over the right hand wheel arch and slowly but firmly pull it towards you, exerting pressure as needed. (counter clockwise as you look at it). The set on the bolt will crack reasonably easily and you can screw the rest out with your fingers. My old harmonic balancer pulled off using two hands and a little bit of wiggling. Reverse the process to get it back on and get that bolt done up nice and tight again. Give it a blat with your rattle gun or Put a line of silicone in the grove on the crank bolt to stop any oil leaks through there. While you're at it replace your CAS and if you just used your original serpentine belt you should probably get a new one of those too! Keep the old one for if you ever have to remove your crank pulley again.

The stars in the night sky are just gaps between all the gaffers tape which is holding the universe together.

Benche
Fully Licenced

simp019

240 Posts

Male

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  9:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Benche's Homepage Send Benche a Private Message  Reply with Quote

just whack it with a hammer a couple of times and rattle the fcuk out of it till it comes off. persistence

VN V6 MANUAL - 14.1sec 1/4MILE, 150rwkw, 350nm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.16 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 18 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services