Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!
www.VNCommodore.com Support Site - Forums Page © 2005 - 2023
    Forums Page 

Main Menu

Start Page  
Forums  
Register  
Recipe Book  
Active Topics  
Active Polls  
Forum Search  
Online Auctions  
Online Classifieds  
FAQ  
Greeting Cards  
Guestbook  
Disclaimer  
Contact Us  
Links  
Username:

Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums
 All Forums
 General Area
 Technical Modifications
 VN V8 wont start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums  

borochone
P Plater

16 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  8:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send borochone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This has been bugging me for 3 days now,
ive had my VN V8 out of service for over a year, it ran ok.
ive basically gave it a full service, new oil. filiters, spark plugs, leads, distrubuter cap, Coil Blaster, fuel pumps, Starter motor,Injectors, fuel tank, radiator hoses, heater hoses, fuel hoses, radiator,all sensors and new battery.

i turn the key i hear the fuel pumps prime, i crank the engine it cranks but doesnt fire.

im not sure if its getting fuel, or if its getting spark, or the injectors might not be opening , or im getting too much air, or if my ecu is buggered.

i feel soo annoyed that ive done soo much work and it wont even fire.

i would be happy with any help anyone can give me.

even how to check for spark or fuel, or injectors so i can narrow down the problem would be a help too.
Report to Moderator

Mechknight73
National Driver

robot-robot14

1001 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  9:18:16 PM  Show Profile Send Mechknight73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To check for spark, you can still do it the old fashioned way. Pull off a plug lead, stick a screwdriver in it, then rest said screwdriver near a good earth. The spark should be visible even if contact with the "earth" is fairly loose.

Checking for fuel flow is simple. You can undo the fuel line either at the filter or the fuel pressure regulator to see if fuel is actually pumping. After sitting on its bum for a year, there's a chance there is something clogging the fuel lines. If you have both fuel and ignition, then you have to start digging deeper, such as interrogating the ECU to find out if it can tell you anything.

Another minor possibility, is check to make 100% sure all the connectors, indeed the harness in general doesn't have any problems. Unplug anything you think might be suspect (one by one) and check for corrosion. Anything that is corroded, spray with contact cleaner, and possibly a rub with 800 wet and dry sandpaper. Not knowing where you parked it, there's things like mice to consider.

Edited by - Mechknight73 on 08 Mar 2013 9:22:35 PM
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

kingbucktoo
P Plater

misc-smileyred

54 Posts

Male

Posted - 08 Mar 2013 :  11:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send kingbucktoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The distributor cap??, did you get the leads in the correct sequence?, and have you started at No 1?? are you using a service manual or photo from the phone as you guide?
If the answer is No, roll the motor over by hand to get to TDC on the harmonic Balancer for piston 1 (compression stroke) and reference the rotor button position to lead position on the cap. Red motor starting position on the distributor is different to the EFI motor ( I have been caught by this)

You have also added a Coil Blaster and new sensors??? The sensors should show up in the ECU interrogation. The coil has been wired the correct way?? Check for spark going into the Dizzy cap as well!!

Did you have the motor going in this last week before the service??.
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.VNCommodore.com Support Forums © 2005 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page  
This page shown in 0.14 seconds.   Snitz Forums 2000
Do not Click Here

Currently 33 user(s) online

Copyright © 2005 - 2023 by: Greening Computer Services